Statistical Overview 2013-14
The Australian Tax Office has released it’s latest statistics on the Self Managed Super Fund sector with an overview of 2013-2014 and September 2015.
- SMSFs account for 99.5 per cent of all superannuation funds and 29 per cent of the $2 trillion in total superannuation assets in Australia.
- Between the years ended 30 June 2011 and 30 June 2015, the number of SMSFs grew from 440,000 to 557,000, or average of 36,000 new funds added each year.
- Of SMSFs established in the last 10 years to 2014, 90% are still in existence.
- Estimated return on assets was 9.8% for 2013-14, the 5th consecutive year of positive returns for SMSFs.
- Top 5 assets make up 84% of all SMSF assets, 32% in equity and 27% in cash and term deposit.